FAQ's on Continuing Education Requirements
- Can I receive continuing education credit hours for courses related to learning American Sign Language or spoken languages when English is a second language for my clients?
Yes. A maximum of 6 Category II credit hours may be earned by taking foreign or sign language courses intended to enhance the delivery of social work services.
- Can I earn credit hours for offering an approved face-to-face program?
Yes, a licensee can earn up to 12 Category II credit hours for preparing and presenting Approved face-to-face programs.
- Can a licensee carry over credit hours into the next renewal cycle?
- Do I still need to obtain 40 (30 for LBSW) continuing education credit hours if I am a newly licensed social worker?
Yes. All licensed social workers must have obtained the required continuing education credit hours before they can renew their license. A newly licensed social worker can earn credit hours from the date the license was issued until the expiration date. A social worker renewing a license for a second time, or more, must obtain the credit hours from November 1st to October 31st two years later.
- Under the continuing education regulations which went into effect on March 22, 2010, can a licensed social worker obtain credit hours for providing or receiving supervision or case consultation?
No. A licensed social worker cannot obtain credit hours for providing or receiving supervision or case consultation. However, the regulations do include “structured peer-case conferences among LCSWs and LCSW-Cs.
- Can I receive continuing education credit hours for courses related to computer software programs like Word, Excel and Access etc?
No. The objectives of the continuing education requirements include: maintenance and enhancement of professional competence, ongoing improvement of professional skills and knowledge, and enrichment of social work services provided to the citizens of Maryland.
- Does the Board keep a list of approved continuing education programs and sponsors?
The Board does not keep a list of approved programs. However, the Board does maintain a list of approved sponsors which you can access.
- How long should a licensee keep his/her continuing education documentation?
The continuing education regulations require that continuing education documentation be kept for two (2) years. The continuing education regulations also require that continuing education documentation be kept for two (2) years when a license is on inactive status and for two (2) years if the license expired. These time frames are required in case the social worker wishes to request reactivation or reinstatement.