Continuing Education Requirements COMAR 10.42.06
Continuing education programs must meet the Board's regulatory requirements
for approval. The Board does not promote continuing education programs, nor does
the Board endorse the content of any program that it approves.
Continuing Education Information
note that the information provided below is not a substitute for the Continuing
Education Requirements as described in the regulations. However, the information
can be used as a guide for some of the areas in the
The current continuing education requirement is 40 credit hours (30 for
LBSW's) of continuing education in programs and categories approved by the Board
for each two-year period of licensure.
Category I credit can only be given by Board Authorized Sponsors. An
organization can be a Board Authorized Sponsor by meeting the requirements for
automatically authorized sponsorship. If an organization does not fall into the
automatically authorized group, then they must complete an approval process
through the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners. In addition, the Board
recognizes and accepts the continuing education approval process conducted by
the Association of Social Work Boards , the
National Association of Social Workers and the
Clinical Social Work Federation.
What if a Board Authorized Sponsor reviews and approves a program of an
Category I credit can be earned in this situation if the Board Authorized
Sponsor takes responsibility for the program, places their name on the
certificate of participation and indicates that they co-sponsored the program.
Automatically Authorized Sponsors
The following sponsors are automatically authorized to sponsor Category I
- Recognized state, regional, national, or international social work
- National, regional, or state accredited academic institutions offering
academic courses or programs recognized as acceptable social work curriculum
- National level non-social work professional organizations such as the
American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association that
are relevant to the professional development of social workers
Directory of Board Approved
If you wish to review a list of approved providers and/or programs, you
should review the information listed on the websites for
ASWB and NASW, as well as the
Authorized Sponsors page on this web site.
Back to Top
A licensee can earn up to 20 (15 for LBSW's) Category II continuing education
credit hours from home study programs. The home study program must be provided
by a Board approved Category I sponsor or by an automatically eligible sponsor.
Back to Top
Effective November 1, 2003 all licensed social workers are required to obtain
three (3) Category I continuing education credit hours, every two years, in the
content area focusing on ethics and professional conduct, including boundary
issues. The program must be given by a Board Approved Sponsor.
The content area must be related to social work ethics and professional
conduct which may include maintaining appropriate boundaries with clients and a
review of the social work statute and Code of Ethics as it relates to conduct
which is consistent with generally accepted professional standards. In addition,
the content of the program may address issues related to avoiding dual
relationships and the acceptance of gifts.
Since many mental health professionals require their licensees to take
similar ethics programs, you may be receiving notices of programs offered by
their national professional associations who are approved by the Board to
provide Category I continuing education credit hours. It would be appropriate to
participate in their programs.
Back to Top
- Programs given by
Board Authorized Sponsors which are comprised of a minimum of 1 hour on
a single subject .
- Live real-time transactions between teachers and learners ( may
include face to face and interactive technology).
- Courses, seminars, workshops, symposiums, conferences, staff development,
grand rounds and attendance or presentation of programs offered at professional
or scientific meetings
- At least 20 (15 for LBSW's) of the required credit hours must be earned
in this category.
- All 40 (30 for LBSW's) credit hours may be earned in this category.
- At least 3 credit hours must be earned in ethics and professional conduct,
including boundary issues.
- An official transcript for academic courses; or
- A certificate of participation, which is signed and dated by the approved
sponsor indicating credit hours earned.
Back to Top
- Programs which are less structured or are not Board-authorized.
- Workshops, conferences, in-service trainings, structured peer-case
conferences, journal clubs, preparation and presentation of a scientific or
professional paper at a meeting of a professional or scientific organization;
authoring a professional publication; preparing and presenting Category I
activities. (Refer to Section .04
Item E for calculating maximum number of credit hours.)
- Audio-visual instructional programs and home-study courses provided by a
Board approved Category I sponsor.
- Twenty (20) (15 for LBSW's) of the required 40 credit hours may
be earned in this category.
- A certificate of participation, if available; or
- If a certificate of participation is not available: the dates when the
program was presented; the name(s) of the presenter(s); topics presented; and an
outline of the presentation (this could be from your notes).
- Post-test passing score for audio-visual and home study programs or a
certificate of participation if available.
- Proof of presentation made, reprints of publications, letters from
educational institutions when credit is claimed for the instruction of students;
- Dates, times and names of participants in structured peer-case conferences
and journal club activities.
Back to Top
- No credit can be earned for activities related to consultation or the
provision of and participation in planned supervisory activities as a
supervisor or supervisee.
- Social workers shall retain records documenting completion of continuing
education requirements for 1 year after the licensing renewal date. The Board
conducts a random audit of licenses renewed each year.
- A credit hour means 1 hour and includes the terms “contact hour”, “clock
hour”, “hour “ or “continuing education credit ". If continuing education units
are expressed in percentages, then .3 CEUs equals 3 credit hrs.
- Any program that lasts 60 minutes provides 1 continuing education credit
- One academic credit is equal to 5 credit hours.
- A social worker can request an extension in time of the continuing education
requirements based upon a handicap, prolonged illness, or other undue hardship.
Back to Top