From: Maryland Board of Chiropractic & Massage Therapy Examiners
4201 Patterson Ave., Suite 301, Baltimore, MD 21215
To: CEU Prospective providers and licensees/Registrants
Re: Revised Board procedures for Chiropractor & CA Courses (1-1-2012) ________________________________________________________________
The CEU regulations are in COMAR 10.43.11. A summary
of the regulations and implementing policies are listed below:
· By September of each renewal year, Chiropractor renewal applicants shall satisfactorily complete at least 48 hours of CEUS (completed within the previous 24 months) containing: 3 hours of communicable disease (including AIDS/HIV), 3 hours risk management, 1 hour of jurisprudence and 1 hour of cultural competency/diversity, current Healthcare Provider Level CPR certification from the Red Cross or American Heart Assn. CA renewal applicants require 10 CEUs in any Board approved course plus the above-mentioned CPR certification.
· All courses must relate to chiropractic or CA scope of practice as determined by the Board. Up to 12 hours of Board Approved physician courses may be taken if such courses are also approved by the Maryland Physician Board or if the licensee engaged in 12 hours of approved instruction. Courses may be in live, home-study, audio or electronic mode.
· All Board Approved Courses are listed on the Board website under the “Approved CEUs” quick link tab.
· Professional CEU Providers seeking course approval shall submit the following by hard copy, formally in writing at least ninety (90) days before the starting date of the program or course (the form is located in the FORMS menu of this website: (1) Title, location, date of course; (2) If electronic, the website, database or system used; (3) Number of credits requested; (4) Names & professional and educational qualifications of instructors in bio or cv format, listing previous pertinent educational presentations; (5) Name of attendance certifying officer and method of certification; (6) Required texts or course notes used; (7) A detailed syllabus and schedule of the classes & courses; (8) List of any sponsor of the program or course. The Board submission form may be downloaded from this website in the FORMS menu. There is a regulatory review fee of $25.00 per course/program submitted to the Board for review. Submissions without the fee will NOT be processed. This fee is not re-charged for subsequent course revisions. Licensees and registrants may apply to the Board for a waiver of the 90-day deadline through the Executive Director without a review fee PRIOR to the commencement date of courses (where the 90-day deadline cannot be met). The review fee shall be paid after the review provided that they submit the aforementioned course information in the format required. NO RETROACTIVE APPROVAL SHALL BE MADE WHERE A LICENSEE HAS ALREADY TAKEN AN UNAPPROVED COURSE AND REQUESTED APPROVAL AFTER-THE-FACT.
· Courses are approved for a three (3) year period from date of approval. Providers are not required to resubmit courses prior to the 3 year date unless the course is substantively changed or unless a previously non-approved instructor is substituted. The initial $25.00 fee covers the 3 year approval period.
· Individual licensees and registrants shall maintain their own CEU records – the Board checks compliance via audits. Licensees/registrants shall submit legible copies of CEU certificates of completion at any time upon request by the Board.