Most birth certificates for individuals born in Maryland after 1939 are also available for same day service at local health departments in all jurisdictions except Montgomery County, Baltimore City, and Baltimore County. In order to receive same day service, an applicant will be required to present valid, unexpired, government-issued photo identification. The identification must have a date issued and an expiration date.
The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene does not accept credit cards or online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached either through its website, http://www.vitalchek.com. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®.
FOR RETURN MAIL SERVICE: Enclose a self-addressed, stamped, legal size envelope and proper payment.
Fees vary depending on type of certificate and type of service requested. When applying in person, you may use cash, check, or money order. When mailing an application, include a check or money order only, made payable to the Division of Vital Records.
If a record cannot be located, the certificate fee is not refunded and a Certification of Record Search will be provided.
If you wish to obtain a copy of a certificate from a local health department, please be advised that you may be charged a processing fee in addition to the certificate fee. Please check with the local health department in your jurisdiction for more information on additional charges.
Birth certificates and related services
When obtaining a birth certificate or a related service from the Division of Vital Records in Baltimore, there is a $24 fee:
- For each certified or abridged copy of a birth certificate;
- For a report that a search of the files was made and the requested record is not on file; or
- For each change to a certificate made later than one year after the certificate has been registered with the Department.
VitalChek, a nongovernmental agency, provides a credit card service (MasterCard, Visa, Visa Debit Card, Discover, and American Express) that may be used for telephone, online, and fax orders only. Orders may be placed Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. There is an additional $9.75 charge per order for this service. There is an additional fee of $15.50 if express mail is requested.
*FEES FOR CURRENT OR FORMER MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES:
The Department does not collect a fee for:
- a copy of a certificate of a current or former armed forces member that is requested by the member; or
- a copy of a certificate of a current or former armed forces member or of a surviving spouse or child of the member, if the copy will be used in connection with a claim for a dependent or beneficiary of the member.