The Following Persons May Apply:
- Either spouse named on the record
- Representative of either spouse named on the record (The representative must show a letter stating that s/he has permission to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate. The letter must be signed by one of the spouses and certified by a notary public.)
- Attorney representing either spouse named on the record. (The attorney must present proof that s/he represents the spouse.)
Download an application to obtain a copy of a marriage certificate
Download in Word format (needs Microsoft Word - the information in this form can be saved and printed)
Download in PDF format (Adobe Reader - free download)
Descargue el formulario bilingüe (Inglés / Español) PDF (necesita Adobe Reader - descárgelo gratis - la información en este formulario se puede guardar e imprimir)
The Division issues certified copies of certificates for marriages that occurred on or after January 1, 1990. For marriages performed before January 1, 1990, contact the circuit court of the Maryland county where the marriage took place, or the Maryland State Archives.
You must present a valid, unexpired, government-issued photo ID displaying a date issued and an expiration date. Applicants unable to supply valid photo ID must present two (2) different pieces of alternative documentation. Acceptable documents are pay stub, current car registration, bank statement, letter from a government agency, lease/rental agreement, utility bill with current address, or a copy of your income tax return or W-2 form. At least one of these documents must contain your current mailing address. Applicants unable to provide valid photo ID will not be able to receive their requests the same day. Their requests will be mailed to the address displayed on the documents provided. If you wish to order a Certificate by mail, include the requested information, photocopy of required identification, a self-addressed, stamped envelope, and the required fee.
Complete the application for a copy of a marriage certificate. You may mail the application, copies of required identification, a self-addressed, stamped envelope and fee to the Division of Vital Records or visit the Division offices at 6550 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore, Maryland 21215 for same day service. If you cannot download the application, you may provide the information listed below on a separate sheet. The turnaround time for mail received is 3-4 weeks.
- Date of application
- Full names of both spouses named on the record (first/middle/last and birth name if different)
- Date of marriage (month/day/year)
- Place of marriage (town or city in Maryland and the county, if the wedding was performed outside of Baltimore City)
- Reason for request
- Applicant's full name (Name should be both printed and signed.)
- Applicant's current mailing address
The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene does not accept credit cards or online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached either through its website, www.vitalchek.com, or by phone at 1-800-255-2414. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®.
You Will Receive:
A certified copy of the certificate of marriage. If the search provides no record, a Certification of Record Search will be provided.